The Medical Blog

african american health

Maya Angelou keeps cancelling events due to health problems

maya

Few people have a public voice that resonates like that of Maya Angelou.  She has been loved for many decades, and when Father Time catches up with our heroes, we end up hurting.  Maya is now 86 years old, and with age comes the onset of physical complications.

The Associated Press is reporting that Maya had to cancel a recent event due to health concerns.  The 2014 MLB Beacons Luncheon was set to honor the famed poet, but announced that she could not make it.   The announcement was made by the Commissioner of Major League Baseball and was going to occur right before the annual Civil Rights game to be played in Houston on May 30th.

This is the second event in recent months that Angelou has had to cancel.  Last month, she was going to appear in Fayetteville, Arkansa, but had to miss because an “unexpected ailment” sent her to the hospital.   The person to replace Angelou at the MLB event is Robin Roberts from Good Morning America.

The event isn’t going to just honor Angelou.  It is also set to honor Berry Gorder and Jim Brown.

Angelou released a statement claiming that she is appreciative of being recognized by the MLB at such an important event.  She also chose not to disclose the nature of her illness.

We wish Ms. Angelou the best.

Tagged , , ,

PinIt
Information provided in this website is for informational and educational purposes only and is not intended to provide medical consultation or as a substitute for medical advice provided by a physician or qualified medical professional. The Medical Blog does not endorse advertisements on this site.

31 thoughts on “Maya Angelou keeps cancelling events due to health problems

• Guy Maynard

YOU ARE AN ASS Dr. MAYA is a truth teller she does everything out of love for her people and the world RIP OUR SISTER XOXOXOOX

1. B. Wash

There come a time in ones life when you should go sit down … why at her age she is still trying to run around making appearances? She need to stop and enjoy what money God has allowed her to make and stop trying to get more… !

• sharon

B.Wash-it’s not the money. She is dedicated to her readers and those who are helped from her books. God has allowed her to serve, now she needs to be served.

• Dollgirl410

I don’t think this is about making money. She is being Honored, not going to work! Do you even know the difference? You need to go sit down somewhere and learn how to speak and write correct english! How about that?

• Whatever

There is no need to sit down until it’s necessary and the only one that knows when it’s necessary is God. So 1 thing we all will do in life is be born & die and neither is on mortal time. So all of us that have read B. Wash ignorant comment should be very happy we as mortals don’t have that ability. Dr. Angelou’s accomplishments to humanity, strength, devotion, motivation and words will live forever like a positive note only she could write then recite. She is was and will always be a legendary which most of us never reach in our life’s journey. This is to honor and pay the utmost respect to 1 of the high achiever’s in life which will definitely be missed, Dr. Maya Angelou….R.I.P.& thank you for sharing..

2. Hollace

B. Wash??? Wash that nasty, negative, lazy, sit & do nothing but wait for whatever happens mentality out of YOUR OWN. HEART & BRAIN THEN MAYBE YOU’LL BE SO BLESSED TO HAVE A LIFE OF HAPPINESS, JOY, POSITIVITY. MS. MAYA ANGELO DESERVES OUR RESPECT, PRAYERS, ADMIRATION & POSITIVE HOPES & WISHES FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY! YOU GO sit down & read her body of work maybe then you’ll understand her value to ALL PEOPLE.

3. Starr

My book club just read and parsed Mom, Me $ Mom and found it enjoyable. I wish this phenomenal woman a speedy recovery. But who is Berry Gorder???

• Sherry

I was wondering the same thing, who in the heck was Berry Gorder! This is straight foolishness! #kmsl

Ms Maya Angelou….gosh what great admiration and respect that I have for you. Please take care of yourself. Be Blessed.

4. Toni

I remember one of Maya Angelou’s statement “When someone tells you something believe them”.
    It comes true in all stages of life.
    I have deep respect for this woman who I have never met but realize she is such a wise woman.

B. Wash does not understand that it is not always about money…maybe in his mind it is but this woman has been able to share with others her wisdom and that is worth more than a ton of gold.

5. Pingback: Maya Angelou Keeps Cancels Event Due To Health

6. Pamela Deloatch

Thank you, for all of your years of wisdom that you have shared wirh us. You are a phenomenal woman!!

7. kimberly

I love her!My favorite thing that she said that inspired me the most is when she said ‘Never whine…it let a Brut know that a new victim has moved into the neighborhood.I taped that phase on my wall…Be well Maya.

8. Debbie

Stop the hate messages. We should all be grateful of ms. Angelou`s writings and public service through the years. There will never be another Maya Angelou

9. Rose

First, this is not newsworthy as we all miss events from time to time. The article stated, “This is the second event in recent months that Angelou has had to cancel.” Only two missed? I think for 86 years old that is FANTASTIC! Lastly, if she doesn’t feel like coming out, leave her alone. Consider it a blessing that she a) accepted your event and, b) was able to attend your event. If you make it to b. then you are SUPER blessed! At 86, she can do what she darn well pleases! Much love to you Mother Angelou. If we would each do a fraction of what you have done, the world would be better! P.S. Who IS Berry Gorder?

10. Sekou Osei

So, who cares, she is another outdated and irrelevant Negro poet with long tropes of over sentimentalize self-involved narcissistic Negro Spirituals as poetry. She just artistically irrelevant and that’s all.

11. Sherry

It was just reported that Ms. Angelou died this morning. May God bless her family and watch over them during this trying time.

12. childofthesixties

Just heard on the “Today Show” she has passed away, so sorry to hear this. I respected her a lot, she came thru some awful times but was determined to make a life for herself and her son. May she rest in peace, so deserving.

13. SayWhat

As an African proverb says, “Another tree has fallen”. I feel like I’ve lost a family member. This is a sad day for those who loved Maya. And, for the rest of the irrelevant few who fail to recognize Dr. Angelou’s worth, they’re pretty much brain dead anyway. RIP Maya.

14. Ahmasi

some voices death cannot silence; some words live on in a life of their own! Her voice reverberates in our collective memory; her words continue to inspire! Mama Angelou has transitioned; she will be with the Ancestors; we should rejoyce and celebrate her life, her wisdom, her humor, her wit, her sage advice, her beauty, her words! There will be none like her in our lifetime! I am honored to have been in a time with Maya! Go see Malcolm, Martin, Fanny Lou, Betty, Corretta; muse with Langston, James, Amiri and Zora! Your legacy has set the bar high but even if we fall, we will still rise; you taught us that and so much more! Rest now; you are Home!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments

• Anastasia: You're actually right. I am white and I have HIV. I bet it came from black penis because I used to be a prostitute. Now nobody wants me. I don't like black people View Post
  • sawitcoming: Um, why can't be concerned about both? They're both bad, but don't use one as a distraction to the very real fact that we live in a country that has no problem with EITHER of those situations. And don't you think it's funny that any time a black person complains that our men are being shot down in the streets like dogs for having done nothing but be black, the discussion turns to "black on black" crime. WTF is that? IT'S A DISTRACTION. So don't come up in here talking that. We have people in our communities already dealing with the black on black and gang issues. You have to understand, it's not the black man's behavior that drives racism. You can be the president of the USA, a prominent black professor at Harvard, or a young man just walking home alone from a convenience store and the racists will still only see your black skin and they will act accordingly. Just because there is black on black crime means nothing when we are talking about being gunned down while unarmed and not in the midst of perpetrating a crime. GET REAL. Unfortunately, things will get worse before they get better. What we are experiencing is a backlash against the progress blacks have made in the US. The white ruling class is shrinking and the US is becoming more ethnically diverse. Billy Bob and Bubba are not taking too kindly to that. They feel like cornered animals under siege, and hence, your stand your ground laws or as I like to call them "shoot me a n** and get away with it laws." Harass and Frisk, Voting rights roll back, voter ID. It's like Jim Crow is rising from his grave. They are trying mightily to keep the black man in check. I'm a little bit more worried about that than "black on black" crime or let's just call it what it really is: crime. Can you imagine if every time a white person stepped outside their door one was shot in the ass by an Asian person every week and they complained, and rightfully so, but all anyone said was, well what about "white on white" crime? LOL. Don't get distracted people, keep your eye on the prize. View Post
  • Allean: Charles Neither one is ok. However I would say the killing of another brother or sister is worst. We can sometimes be our worst enemy. Years ago we worried about being killed by men in white robes. Now, we have to worry about us killing us. We need to stop this. No, there is no need for more guns, there are more than enough out already. We need to learn to be more compassionate of our brothers/sisters, stop the "I want what you have" mentality (if this means you plan on stealing or killing for it and not working & saving to purchase). This starts with you and me. View Post
  • rick: I say Amen to that but we too need to clean up our situation 'cause every night I watch the news I am ashamed and concern about how we kill ourselves..besides prejudiced white policemen .we are our worst enemy !!!!! View Post
  • Eric: Maybe we need to bring back an organization similar to the Black Panthers. View Post

News In Pictures

• Health Information You Need
  • Tips From Leading Experts
  • Information Delivered to Your Inbox Daily
Let's Get Healthy Together!!!