Texas man with Ebola has died


Thomas Eric Duncan was the first person in the history of the United States to come onto American soil and be diagnosed with Ebola.  The worst fears of the public were realized when it was reported that the man died early Wednesday morning at the Dallas hospital where he was receiving treatment.

The 42-year old Duncan was using the drug Brincidofovir.  But there is no word on whether this was the drug given to two other patients who were treated in Atlanta after being flown back to the United States.  His family said that he was not doing well and his conditioned continued to get worse before his death.

“What we saw was very painful. It didn’t look good,” said Duncan’s nephew Josephus Weeks.

Doctors believe that the man captured the virus during a trip to Liberia after he took a neighbor to the hospital via taxi.   He came home and started to show symptoms once he arrived.  The CDC has been criticized for not cleaning the infected apartment that he was in for several days, putting the neighborhood at risk

“It is with profound sadness and heartfelt disappointment that we must inform you of the death of Thomas Eric Duncan this morning at 7:51 am,” Texas Health Resources spokesman Wendell Watson said in a statement. “We have offered the family our support and condolences at this difficult time.”

Dr. David Lakey of the Texas Department of State Health Services said “The doctors, nurses and staff at Presbyterian provided excellent and compassionate care, but Ebola is a disease that attacks the body in many ways. We’ll continue every effort to contain the spread of the virus and protect people from this threat.”

The family may consider legal action against Texas Presbyterian, the original hospital that Duncan visited when he first became ill.  Despite his informing them that he’d recently taken a trip to Liberia, the hospital still sent him home.  Also, Rev. Jesse Jackson says that he is concerned that Duncan did not receive adequate medical care.

1 Comment

Leave A Reply