Texas toddler dies after her dental procedure in Austin office; state board opens investigation into death0
A 14-month-old Texas girl died after receiving treatment in her Austin dentist’s office Tuesday morning, officials said.
Daisy Lynn Torres died around two hours after an emergency crew drove her to the hospital from Austin Children’s Dentistry, officials in the Travis County medical examiner’s office told the Austin American-Statesman. The Texas State Board of Dental Examiners has opened an investigation into Daisy’s death.
“Daisy was a happy baby full of life,” her aunt, Jessica Castaneda, told the Statesman. “She had just celebrated Easter with her family. She went to the dentist. Then her mother called me and asked me to pray because something went wrong and they were taking her to the hospital. Next thing we know, we’re planning funeral arrangements.”
Medical examiners haven’t released her cause of death, and representatives for the dental office have declined to say why Daisy was at the dentist’s office or what happened during the procedure, citing privacy laws.
A fundraising site for the family’s funeral expenses said Daisy was there “for a routine cavity filling and under the advice of the dentist was put under anesthesia, when the unthinkable happened.”
“Daisy quit breathing and was rushed by ambulance to a local hospital where despite efforts by the hospital staff, she passed away this morning. This was completely unexpected and has shattered this family’s world,” the YouCaring site said. It had raised over $4,200 by Wednesday night.